EQ HERE

What is the best way to make combat armor using nanotech carbon fibers?

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Independent Component 1

Literal


a) I, Alex Kemnitz, affirm that I have completed 18 hours of my Independent component.

b) I have not completed the total 30 hours due to not having started until just a few weeks ago.  I plan to complete the 30 hour requirement in another 2 weeks. For my Independent component I have been taking two free online courses at MIT Open Course Ware. One class is a single variable calculus class, the other is a Physics course on the classical mechanics and the different applications in the world around us.  The math class supports the material being used in the other, so it is necessary to take both. I try to watch and notate at least two lectures a night, except for Tuesdays and Thursdays.  I work on the assigned problems for each course on the following day after the lectures, then follow up with another two lectures.


Interpretive 


In regards to my topic, my work so far is helping me get a better understanding of the mathematical use theory behind what's going on.  The graphs that appear on microscope and the units things are calculated in are all explained.  I feel this shows hard work because of the pure fact that I am not receiving any credit for these classes.  They will help me to get a step ahead in the future, but for the moment I am not gaining anything more than knowledge.

Applied


EQ: What is the most effective use of nanotechnology?

So far, all this information has informed me what exactly to look for when I'm answering my EQ.  The theory and mathematical properties that are explained have helped me to be more thorough when I look at a possible answer.

Example:

One of my possible answers is body armor.  The mechanics of physics course has helped to look into the laws of force and the specific units going on in a bullet colliding with a nanomembrane. The calculus helps to receive an in depth understanding of the digits being thrown around and how it is applied in an actual situation; an example of this would be turning a surface into a geometric grid and focusing on that specific area with the other factors that are involved: force and resistance.

Grading Criteria:



  • Log Calendar
  • Evidence of 30 of work:  I am having technical difficulties with my scanner.  I will try to get the scans of my work and notes up this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment